Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Oath


"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." This was the oath taken by our 44th President, Barack Obama. In my scratchboard etching, “The Oath,” I’ve attempted to capture the fragility of the act when Lincoln’s bible rested delicately within Michelle Obama’s grasp and upon which Barack Obama gently placed his hand. These moments of fragility were also quite fleeting in that the euphoria and the widespread adulation felt toward our new President would soon be replaced by hysterical acrimony and doubt about his capacity to effectively carry out the very words he recited. Despite a currently rancorous and hostile national drumbeat, what is not fragile or fleeting are the very qualities for which our young President was so highly praised when he was elected. His strength, intelligence and dignity are constant, and for that I join the multitude of Americans who remain confident that the country and the Constitution are in safe hands.

http://harrynseymour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment